25 December 2014

My Personal Experience With “Anti-Pull Harnesses” (alleged, anti-pull)



When I had begun leash training London I often feared I would end up having to send her to live with family because of the pulling.  There are dogs that pull and then there’s dogs breed for that purpose.  As a pup was told she would only reach 18-22, standard for an adult female huskimo (so they say, however, we have met many another huskimo and they all are atleast twice the size they were claimed to grow into.  (granted, it all depends upon breeding and there’s likely to be truly ‘mini’ huskimos [check back for more information on the breed, am working on a “about London” post which explain the breed and psychological aspects of the working breed and pulling dogs from a huskimo’s companion.]) Anyhow, the heavier the dog the more painful the pull.  When I got her I made a promise to her, myself, and my family that if there ever becomes a time in which I can’t fully provide her needs then I will send her to someone that can.  I have a number of health challenges, primarily orthopedic in naturel, and even just the slightest pull triggers a tendonitis episode (…should have never taught her tug of war as  a pup, oh mama mia …) Anyhow, the pulls triggered the tendonitis, disc issues, or lack there of, would causes spine to shift around and pinch on nerves.  Just a quick jaunt around the block would reduce me to tears and I feared how on earth I’d be able to keep her and she be a happy healthy gal.  I must have spent well over $100 on ‘alleged’ anti-pull, endorsed by  this group and that.  But Then…. Da Da Dada! (drum roll please……!!!)

The Easy Walk Harness!

YEAH! 

  It clips in the front, preventing the dog from throwing their shoulders forward.  Especially with pulling dogs with long wedged toes that have the ability to really dig into the ground to pull.  This harness was truly heavenly sent (though, indeed, from her pictures, most show a poor fit, the harness is form fitting.  However, this breed sheds year round, she gets a wolf like husky coat in winter, ginger-head and white long double coat in summer…go figure… 

The breed is 50% husky 50% American Eskimo.  You can’t breed a huskimo with another huskimo and get huskimo pups, has to be 50/50 ying-yang.)  Anywho, If you have a similar breed you might want want to do what I did and get 2 different sizes for different times of the year.  I also keep it loose when letting her run through the woods.  She sails over fallen trees and if the harnass catches anything it will restrain the shoulders which wouldn’t be good.  The only flaw with the harness, in my opinion, is that when its wet the adjustment buckles slide, allowing it to loosen with movement after coming out from water.  I also recommend using a leather leash instead of those retractable thing-a-ma-jiggers.  They have a good feel and can withstand the elements.  They feel much like reins,.. I find myself often reining English as if riding/driving.  It works well for her, I instinctively squeeze the rein vs. pulling back on a leash.  Just a slight squeeze and the dog responds, that’s all that’s needed.  (though, often find myself clucking to her as well…. You horse folk are chuckling, am I right?)

Luckily I still had the packaging in with her baby things… this is the product I speak of:

L



No comments: